You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Skin Consortium. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, June 25th 2008, 4:13pm

Why CPro ,- is not the modified or new gen_ff.dll plugin ? New plugin development petition !!

I'd like to ask why does CPro do by the subplagin step by standard gen_FF.dll plugin ?
Why it doesn't go by creating own new .dll skin plugin which would be more powerful and have more degrees of freedom ?
My suggestion in that - to start develope new powerful .dll plugin for WinAmp !!!
(I think WinAmp company opens source of gen_FF.dll for that great idea !!!)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "D555" (Jun 26th 2008, 6:17am)

martin.deimos

Ex-Nullsoftie

Name: Martin

Wednesday, June 25th 2008, 4:43pm

1) cPro is a community effort, mostly developed by pieter
2) cPro needs still the normal gen_ff.dll
3) gen_ff.dll will NEVER be opensource
4) We need to be backwardscompatible
Consultant for Software and Systems Engineering @ CQSE | mpdeimos @ twitter | mpdeimos.com
Past Projects: Winamp for Android | Songpier - Every Song becomes an App | Winamp

Wednesday, June 25th 2008, 5:26pm

3) Why ?

If you do that - you'll get more options for skinning WinAmp !!!
It wil just better xml cover support ... and more !!!
so gen_ff.dll source would teach people how make skins for WinAmp better ...
and hm... it is only a plugin..., so you will get more popularity for WinAmp API !!!
So why not !?

SLoB

SLoB

Wednesday, June 25th 2008, 8:11pm

your better off asking the powers that be at nullsoft ;) only they can really answer the question of why.

I see where your coming from, to make cpro a plugin dll would make more sense but then your also shifting the language and other aspects, cpro is built on top of the framework rather than IS the framework

we would like to see more stuff opened up or allowed to be accessed via maki more to help ease or create new functionality

Thursday, June 26th 2008, 5:24am

I understand... I thinked that API for gen_ plugins is opened ... and possible to create gen_ff brother for new skin type support ...

I like cPro ... but i clearly see a great power in gen_ff.dll )), so - any UI element or wish - may come true ..., -
[for example - people so long asked for tabbed play-lists..; with that stuff - it wiil be easy even not asking developers :) ]
It would be much greater then standard existing cPro API ...I'd rather say - its would be supplement each other

will try communicate with nullsoft... :thumbup:

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "D555" (Jun 26th 2008, 10:12am)

martin.deimos

Ex-Nullsoftie

Thursday, June 26th 2008, 9:44am

then you need to communicate w/ me or benski (who isn't around in this forum lately) :P
Winamp itself is closed source (i dunno why, but i think it's better this way so development is controled) so gen_ff is also closed sorce.
If you want a open player use wasabi.player - it's basically winamp3 and is 90% opensource - the rest 10% are closed (mainly the skinning engine) and still need some peeps to rewrite it, hehe. So feel free to contact them if you know any c++ coding.

If you just want some binaries to create plugins, use the developer SDK - a new one will be released w/ 5.54

what exactly do you mean w/ tabbed playlists?
Consultant for Software and Systems Engineering @ CQSE | mpdeimos @ twitter | mpdeimos.com
Past Projects: Winamp for Android | Songpier - Every Song becomes an App | Winamp

Thursday, June 26th 2008, 10:30am

No need to open-sorce player ))) ! I asked only about skin plugin) . Because I saw in that GREAT power ))).
(yep? like Luke Skyworker))) )

So reason for that is what skin futures (reads UI futures) would come more faster , and skin-dev's could ask and get new stuffs faster and quicker !!! And dissapears times for asking impement that or those ))).
So isn't it cute idea ;) ?

ps
I talked about some one stuff that makes possible use variouse playlists like a tabs ... And seems after along-long waiting time it was promised in a futures releases...
And by example of that isn't it easier and faster if it would be realised by editing , compiling and implemented with a community ?
I talk only about skin engine... only about it ... and API for it.

martin.deimos

Ex-Nullsoftie

Thursday, June 26th 2008, 10:36pm

if you want multiple playlists, you must use winamp3.
winamp5 is based on winamp2 and the winamp2 core simply doesn't support multiple playlists at once like wa3. And this cannot be done by some gen_ff work - you might need to rewrite the whole core again.
...ok when was it that Nullsoft did this -- 2000?!? Dunno, but Wa3 was dropped in 2003 (or 04), because of a buggy core and no backwardscompatibility to old wa2 plugins :(
those 3rd plugins need more or less on ONE playlist.

Anyways you can still do some basic multiplaylisting with the medialibrary - and if you want tabbed playlists you need to use AIMP2 or foobar - winamp5 will not support this feature

pjn123

"Your future depends on your dreams. So go to sleep"

Name: Pieter

Sunday, June 29th 2008, 4:58pm

Tabbed playlist is possible but it will basically just open the playlist in the ml if you click on the tab(button)... will look very cool but it wont save any changes unless you save it to the ml first. I guess nullsoft can add a save to playlist function in gen_ff but that up to them. The current method of openning the savedplaylist gadget works for me.. but I'll say the Aimp2 tabbed one is nice... but I'm more used to Winamp way of doing stuff.
"I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it"