You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Skin Consortium. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "krazytim" started this thread

Monday, July 16th 2007, 10:08am

KrazyPlayer

Hey there! I've been designing for about two years now and I want to get my first WinAMP Skin working. I have heard a lot about this place and I actually got refered here a couple times. Anyways, I come to you with something I've been working on over the last week or two. It is the second concept design I have had for WinAMP, and I really, really want to see it working as a Modern Skin. I am not sure about all the little details I need to design, but I am willing to go back and make any changes I need to make this work.

As for the copyrights. I see that you guys upload the final product on DeviantArt, as long as I get full credit there won't be any issues. I will get more into detail when and if I can get this skin approved for development.

The design is pretty much finished, but as a flash designer/developer I know that I will have to go make to make extra buttons, over states, and what not. I am willing to work closely with who ever is bringing it to life.

Here it is....

Skin Version (w/ playlist editor & video boxes)

Eye Candy Version (for those who just want to see it without all the content and such ;) )

Also, I noticed most players don't inclue the drop shadow on the final version (probably because of computer resources I am guessing), so I can remove it if needed.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if we can make this happen.

Regards,
-Tim

SLoB

SLoB

Monday, July 16th 2007, 1:57pm

Hi krazytim :)
welcome to the SC forum :)
Nice design, reminds me of one of the other skins in progress :)

have seen your awsome template skins from DA for a while now, was wondering when we'd get more of you DA guys coming here heh ;)

Copyrights - remain as per individuals worked on the skin, so yes you would get full credit on the gfx/design side, you are free to release it as your own works too but it would also get released under the SC banner too, obviously in all promos etc.. you will be credited with whatever input you had, so it seems your ok with that, not that that is much to ask but I'm sure your cool with it all

drop shadows - a few subtle things with this

drop shadow on the main player is fine, 99.9% of skins have a drop shadow but as u kno its down to the user prefs, I like drop shadows ;)

window components - now depending on look & type your going for then drop shadows are at the expense of cpu, slight quirks

we have workable scripts that will add drop shadow to those windows so these can be used for semi transparent, drop shadow type effects, tho normally we would use a default approach on window components but it depends on the skin

for example something that would kill dta on a drop shadow window component - a cd cover which uses the net for access, however, a local cd cover would work without issue

small things
* notifier needed
* over, down states for buttons
* most important - all respective layers flattened ready for exporting with appropriate layer names
-basically don't leave the psd with blended layers etc.., of course split layers up, for example i like to keep most of my highlighting layers on a seperate layer so that if colour is changed then the white is not washed out with colour

we are also going to be trialling RGB picker within skins too at some point, requires more gfx, code stuff dependant on skin etc..

as for fitting it in, thats a good question, will need more discussion ;)

Monday, July 16th 2007, 2:09pm

It looks absolutly fantastic! Looks so sleek and cool. We have to get this done.

We should probably warn you about that right now actually, our time frames are *quite* long at the moment. We have a lot of pies in a lot of ovens ;). But theres always room for a nice one! Plus we're finishing up on a few right now i think...

Monday, July 16th 2007, 5:06pm

I love this design so much I would actually consider having sex with it.

Monday, July 16th 2007, 6:47pm

Is there anything you don't f*** on this planet buddy :D

@tim: You already know what I think about it :))

:away:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Xdreamer" (Jul 16th 2007, 7:00pm)

KingShrimp

Professional

Monday, July 16th 2007, 11:09pm

Thats one sleek design. Hope we 1) have time and 2) can do it justice :D

Tuesday, July 17th 2007, 12:05am

Quoted

Originally posted by Xdreamer
Is there anything you don't f*** on this planet buddy :D

So Xdreamer....do you work out?

:D

Tuesday, July 17th 2007, 6:40am

lmao @ skryingbreath & xd :P

anyways... thanks for the kind words guys :)

I just want to point out now, that I think I want to leave this skin with only one color. I made some different color versions, but I have to do it manually because of how many layers and blending modes I used... http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/59589848/ -- If you guys really want to do multiple variations, I might be able to make a green, orange, red versions, but I don't want to have a ton of different versions. Unless its a lot easier than I am thinking.

I am totally ready to get this thing going. I just went through and made a PSD for the skin with flattened layers. The screen details were mostly soft light and overlay, but I could just make them normal.

How do you guys usually do this? Do I just email someone the source file then you guys just get around to it when you have some time? This is a graphically heavy design obviously, so I just want to make sure it can be done.

Regarding the drop shadow. I think the actual player interface should have a soft drop shadow, but not the playlist editor, media library, etc. Just the main interface is enough.

And for the copyrights, I just want to be able to upload it on my own acount as well as the one you guys have got and i'll be plenty happy :)

Important questions:
*can there be any blending modes? (softlight, overlay, etc?)
*can layer have opacity/transparency? Do you just export as png file or somethin?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys...
-Tim

WinstonGFX

Tuesday, July 17th 2007, 8:20am

Tim, merge all parts that can be logically merged, for instance, if your screen part is made of 5 layers that affect each other using blending modes and they can be merged and no effect will be lost (a blending mode affecting other elements in the design) then you are fine.

Parts will be in png, you may yse opacity but blending modes will not work in the skin. There is an easy script that we use to do this once everything is merged and named nicely (called PSDtoWAL)

In terms of color themes, you should merge images with intent for one color theme. Color schemes for winamp skins get done after a skin is fully created using code, not graphics.

The drop shadow, yes that should work very easily without any work-arounds needed.

After everything is flattened and named, upload it here and hopefully someone will have time to pick up your project and code it.

SLoB

SLoB

Tuesday, July 17th 2007, 8:57am

wot Mike said :)
I like to keep a seperate shadow layer for the base, can also have a transparency slider connected if wanted
it only gets slightly complicated if you want RGB, otherwise colours are done as gammagroups, if you want the ability to choose from an RGB picker then all you need to is create semi transparent red,green,blue layers, you can still keep a desaturated base image that has the highlights etc... to keep pretty much the intensity.. see upcoming Walpha skin for RGB

Tuesday, July 17th 2007, 10:45am

Oh, I see. The only problem is the shines around the main interface. They are on color dodge, and the color of the shine changes when the screen color changes, but only in photoshop. This interface is quite complex, so I am fine with just a blue version.

@Winston - thanks for the info. I am good with merging and such, that wasn't so much the problem. The color was my main issue, mainly because I have no idea how these skins are actually developed.

Should I upload the PSD somewhere and post a link to it, or just attach it?

Tuesday, July 17th 2007, 11:26am

The colours shouldnt be a problem. We can set images to greyscale in the winamp colour themes stuff. We could make all the colours under the sun, so don't worry about that ;).

This could change slightly if Slob wants to put the RGB stuff in, but thats nothing too major anyway ;).

Tuesday, July 17th 2007, 1:22pm

Thats good to hear. Its fun to have pros doing this...

Also, for the button over states, can you guys make them fade in? The idle state is what you see, but the over has a more vibrant blue with an outer blue glow, it would be nice to make it fade in like i've seen in some other players.

I know how to do all this stuff in flash btw, check out my old flash site (look @ mp3 player): http://www.timsilva.com/archive/v6 & http://www.timsilva.com/archive/v4 -- Flash is totally different from WinMAP obviously, but its cool to have someone doing the hard stuff :) You guys rock.

Again, should I just upload the PSD asap?

Tuesday, July 17th 2007, 2:02pm

Yeah fades on the hover states are easily do-able :)

SLoB

SLoB

Tuesday, July 17th 2007, 2:16pm

y upload the psd :)

WinstonGFX

Tuesday, July 17th 2007, 5:33pm

Just my curiosity, would the fade be achieved with a maki script that fades in and out the opacity of the glow element?

SLoB

SLoB

Tuesday, July 17th 2007, 7:38pm

yep 100% correct Mike but it could have different settings dependant on style wanted
basically you create a small function which to call with said gfk, speed, opacity
pretty much any skin with some maki in it will probably contain such a thing

Tuesday, July 17th 2007, 11:56pm

Would a XUI object be the best way to do it?

If there was a way to link the hover layer directly to the button then it would be much easier to code. You'd make the script so much simpler.

Its an easy enough job to do, but the code for inducer took so many lines because we had about 25 buttons each with fading hover and pressed states, heh.

SLoB

SLoB

Wednesday, July 18th 2007, 12:02am

xui is the way to go for quicker more consistent buttons, its not without its subtle quirks as you well know but in this case will work without issue as there is no play2pause thing going on

could code in a couple of different options for fade in

so there we go, practically coded itself lol ;)

Wednesday, July 18th 2007, 2:26am

Quoted

* notifier needed
* over, down states for buttons
* most important - all respective layers flattened ready for exporting with appropriate layer names
-basically don't leave the psd with blended layers etc.., of course split layers up, for example i like to keep most of my highlighting layers on a seperate layer so that if colour is changed then the white is not washed out with colour

1.) What do you mean by notifier? Are you talking about the hover text that pops up when you mouse over buttons? (like alt text in html?) If so, can we just use the default?

2.) I made all three states available in the flattened PSD.

3.) I've got the psd all formatted that way. Thats what I was asking if I should upload. lol, sorry for the confusion :P

Rate this thread

Sponsored Links: