You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Skin Consortium. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

martin.deimos

Ex-Nullsoftie

• "martin.deimos" started this thread

Name: Martin

Sunday, May 10th 2009, 7:30pm

[Foobar Skin] foobar is great but...

well, just browsed dA a bit and found this skin:

http://tedgo.deviantart.com/art/DarkOne-v1-5-121964250

but take a look at the list of required plugins just for a SKIN!

Following plugins and fonts are required:
-------------------------
- Columns UI 0.3.6.9
- Album List Panel 0.3.4
- libpng and zlib libraries
[link]
- Channel Spectrum Panel 0.17.2
- Panel Stack Splitter 0.3.7.4a
- Biography view 0.2.7.6
- ELPLaylist 0.6.5.2b
[link]
- Extended Variables 0.3.1 [link]
- Quicksearch Toolbar 2.8l [link]
- Lyrics Show Panel 0.3.3.9 [link]
- Playback Statistics 2.1.9 [link] (Download section)
- WSH Panel mod 1.1.7 [link]

(or newer versions).

Used fonts:
- Arial
- Arial Black
- Impact
- Microsoft Sans Serif
- Segoe UI
- Tahoma
- Trebuchet MS
(already installed with windows and/or an office suite)

and the download-included true type font:
- DarkOne.ttf (for the display)

Please read the User Guide.pdf for further installation instructions.
Thanks!

LOL

cpro is ways better!
Consultant for Software and Systems Engineering @ CQSE | mpdeimos @ twitter | mpdeimos.com
Past Projects: Winamp for Android | Songpier - Every Song becomes an App | Winamp

Sunday, May 10th 2009, 10:57pm

absolutely!!! Cpro kicks its azz!
Team Skin Consortium
my skins-

Here + 10 more

Thursday, May 14th 2009, 5:13pm

depends on how much space all those plug-ins take up it might be more worth it...but im sure the resource consumption is ballistic.

Wednesday, May 20th 2009, 9:32am

Indeed, there are many plugins needed to use this darkone configuration with all its possibilities.

But most of this plugins are not for the skin itself but for adding functionality that foobar2000 misses (or better: the columns ui user interface used for this configuration doesn't offer) by default.
And this is one of the advantages foobar2000 has: inexhaustible possibilities to fit it to your needs.

CPU consumption is still low.
Typical RAM load is at about 50-60MB at the moment, and it is much too much, i know.
That for i will remove the additional compact mode and improve code for the next DarkOne build.
At the moment i decreased RAM load at about 20% already and it still has more functionality than every winamp...

To say "cpro is way better than foobar2000 because this skin needs so much plugins" is just not fair.
Its the same as you'd say "my BMW is way better than your BMW because yours is a combi and has a roofrack and air condition that needs more gas in use".

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "tedgo" (May 20th 2009, 9:45am)

martin.deimos

Ex-Nullsoftie

Wednesday, May 20th 2009, 10:05am

welcome to SC tedgo!

well, sure u are right that foobar has more capabilities than winamp/cpro w/ all those plugins.
But what i doubt is that anyone will install all those plugins just for one skin. It's a high wall an unexperienced user needs to climb :(
cPro is also just a plugin for winamp, but if you havn't installed it yet, the skin asks to install it first and the user just has to follow those instructions. This is why i sayd cPro is ways better (don't get me wrong :) this was ment for the installation process)

I would really like to port cPro to other players at some point (maybe as plugin for foobar as well - but have no idea/time how to start this atm and VLC is the first player it will be ported anyways)

Would be cool if you stay here for a while. I could also add a foobar section to our download database & forum so u can upload your stuff here as well. Maybe we will hop on some foobar development then as well :P
Consultant for Software and Systems Engineering @ CQSE | mpdeimos @ twitter | mpdeimos.com
Past Projects: Winamp for Android | Songpier - Every Song becomes an App | Winamp

Wednesday, May 20th 2009, 11:13am

It is true that installation process may be easier with cpro.
And i'd love to have something similar for foobar2000 as well, but unfortunately there is none at the moment.

So it is necessary to load a bunch of plugins. But this offers more flexibility i think.
Its easy to replace one plugin with another without destroying a skin/configuration.
Or to enhance an existing skin/configuration with new plugins.
Or only to remove a not needed plugin.
So i think the "foobar way" is not that bad.
Load only the plugins you need/want instead of having one plugin with functionality you may never need.

However, i must confess, i don't know cpro and its structure (and haven't ever really worked with winamp - it doesn't found attraction to me)

;)

But i think it is not that easy to customize a skin by the end-user.

martin.deimos

Ex-Nullsoftie

Wednesday, May 20th 2009, 1:10pm

as for cPro, it supports widgets that can be shown in the main area, the drawer and the sidebar.
Widgets are optional and feature stuff like:
* improved album art
* picture exploring & printing
* shoutbox
* advanced chapter & A-B repeat manager
* visualization madness
* (more to come soon)

if i have more time i will test your foobar config for sure :) since i like your skin design.
but what holds me back from using foobar (besides that i work for Nullsoft) is the media library - i live Winamp's Media Lib!

Wednesday, May 20th 2009, 1:41pm

Cool :)
One of the main reasons i decided for foobar2000 was ITS media library ;)
Especially since v0.9.6.

Maybe i should take a look into winamp with cpro.
But my last winamp test was disappointing...

I need the nearly unlimited custom tag support of foobar2000, transcode each format to another with applying replaygain and other dsp stuff (i'm a hobby musician and its quite easy to do something like this in foobar2000).

Easy cd ripping support, support for embedded and external album art (although foobar can't embed album art, only display...) and much more.

But maybe a new winamp test could surprise me :)

martin.deimos

Ex-Nullsoftie

Wednesday, May 20th 2009, 2:33pm

a test couldn't harm:
winamp has replay gain, cdart embedded/external, dsp, ripping, converting

Wednesday, May 20th 2009, 6:39pm

Ok, i tested winamp with cpro again now.

At first:
Memory load is much higher than my foobar2000 DarkOne skin (Winamp Cpro ~60MB, my foobar2000 skin ~45MB, both on startup)
I tried another cpro skin then: Hi-Fi 73 which has still at about 52MB memory load on startup.
After playing a few files winamp raises up to 75MB, foobar2000 DarkOne ~50MB.

CPU consumption is equal.
(regarding ressource consumption...)

Winamp is still a good multimedia player and plays video too (what foobar2000 can't...).
Web integration is very comfortable and i like it very much :).

But i haven't found out:
- how to play my WavPack or Musepack files.
- how to add NeroAAC encoder to the converter.
- how to enable dsp or replaygain during conversion.
- how to pre-amp replaygain
- how to embed album art (none of the covers i added where shown in mp3tag or foobar2000, where are they stored? only external?)
- how to add custom tags (like label, version, track date (useful for compilations), discogs_id or something similar)
- where are the lyrics and how can i show them?
- and how can i edit the code of the skin or enhance it?

The winamp help isn't really helpful.
I haven't found anything about replaygain, tagging, album art or converter in it...
Embedded album art in Ogg vorbis files aren't shown up at all...

Maybe i should play some time with it, but i doubt it could really convince me ;)

Two worlds collide and it seems that they aren't comparable...

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "tedgo" (May 20th 2009, 6:47pm)

martin.deimos

Ex-Nullsoftie

Wednesday, May 20th 2009, 8:24pm

everyone has his favourite player :)
stay with foobar!

will try foobar as well when i have some more time and give u report on my experience!

Wednesday, May 20th 2009, 9:59pm

I'm very curious about :)
And i'm sure you'll find many things you miss in foobar2000 as i missed in winamp.
Its a matter of taste as well as a matter of habitualness.

And as i said: i think these players aren't really comparable.
Winamp is a very good multimedia player whereas foobar2000 is concentrated for music only.

Saturday, October 17th 2009, 8:38am

If someone's interested in:
I updated the DarkOne configuration for foobar2000: DarkOne v1.6

Have made some thoughts about your words, so i uploaded it as a self-extracting archive, that contains all needed files and installs the needed font file automatically. This should make using a "skin" for foobar2000 as easy as possible.

martin.deimos

Ex-Nullsoftie

Saturday, October 17th 2009, 4:41pm

i'll check it later - but this looks really great :D

should we create a foobar skin category here on Skin Consortium?

Name: Julian W.

Saturday, October 17th 2009, 11:42pm

It looks fabulous but...
I'll have to agree here, Cpro is much better. Uses less resources I guess.
Isn't cpro supposed to have lyrics? I can't find it anywhere, not how to enable it.

edit: Enya is fabulous, too!
--- Jay Spannerz ---
View my DA page here

Saturday, October 17th 2009, 11:56pm

... Cpro is much better. Uses less resources I guess.

Your guess is wrong ;)
(At least on my system) Cpro uses at about 30% more RAM (depends on the skin of course, but is never less than foobar2000 with my DarkOne configuration), CPU usage is equal.
But one of the used plugins in my config seems to cause a memory leak with wrong settings (disabled by default, though...)
Maybe one of the disadvantages when forced to use plugins from different developers...

@martin.deimos
If there's an interest here on skin consortium to create a foobar skin category, i'd appreciate it.
But i won't find the time to be a sedulous post writer, since i'm already busy on the german foobar-users board ;)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "tedgo" (Oct 18th 2009, 12:04am)

Name: Julian W.

Sunday, October 18th 2009, 12:12am

Like I say, I guessed.
Well, with 3GB ram I suppose it doesnt matter .. much. it all comes down to the user's preference.
--- Jay Spannerz ---
View my DA page here

muhda

Professional

Sunday, October 18th 2009, 12:14am

A self-extracting archive is a great solution butt,:
It will be better if Foobar had a Theme-extension just like Winamp/cPro, VLC or other program's. 8)
I am sorry for my English, I am Dutch.
----> BetaTester <--------

Sunday, October 18th 2009, 12:22am

That's true, but i guess this won't happen...
So i think a self-extracting archive is the best what's possible atm.

Maybe one day a developer will finally create a real skinnable user interface, maybe using xml.
The foobar community is still waiting for something like that for a long time :)

martin.deimos

Ex-Nullsoftie

Sunday, October 18th 2009, 10:47am

i've moved the thread now -- if you go to downloads in the main navi, you'll find a new foobar category. feel free to add you skin.
threadID is 1286